Friday, February 23, 2007

Hydroquinone, Fraxel, Obaji, Lustra and Solage

If anyone is familiar with any of the above products and/or procedures then you must be one of the "lucky" few who have melasma or something quite similar. As my profile stated, I noticed I had melasma when I was in my late 20’s. At that time, my melasma was manageable as it was only less than half a dime in size. It rested on both of my cheekbones but, more so, on the left side. I didn’t give too much thought since I was just so damn happy that I no longer had to deal with acne EVERY month. The acne was painful in feel and look.

Back then...I also assumed that maybe the sun was aggravating my left cheekbones, which was the side exposed to the sun when I was driving. The years would go by and I wouldn’t pay too much attention to it. I spent time in the sun and my melasma was basically the same color as my skin tone. It wasn’t until I was in my early 30’s did I decide to spend less time in the sun. I also tried to wear sunblock each time I went outdoors. It wasn’t until early 2006 (age: 35) did I notice my skin lightened naturally from my decrease in sun exposure; however, my melasma was more noticeable now because it didn’t lightened as easily as my unaffected skin area...STUBBORN!!

In May 2006 I decided to have several laser treatment (Fraxel) to remove my melasma, which is now bigger than a quarter in size. I was informed that the treatment was the first safe treatment for people of color skin. I’m an Asian female with a skin tone which seems tanned during the winter months. During the first few months after the treatment, my skin looked youthful and pores were tighter; however the melasma was still evident. There goes $3k. My dermatologist wanted me to go on the Obaji system and so I did. I cannot tell you what happened next. My entire face was beautifully lightened with an even and smooth tone; however, the melasma looked twice as pronounced because it didn’t lightened one bit. Damn stubborn thing!!! When you looked at my face, you saw the map of the world – with the melasma being the continents on the world map, of course.

My dermatologist had me stop the Obaji system and then put me on Lustra, Lustra AF and Lustra Ultra in combination with Finacea. A little over a month and my melasma was very resistant in moving residence. It was happy right there on top of high cheekbones. To top it off, he had me stop the Lustra and Finacea and had me on Solage. I was instructed to only apply the Solage on the melasma. Bad decision. Let’s just say within two weeks of using it, the solution had burned my melasma and made it WORSE because what do burns do? They become darker before they heal. I cried like I haven't cried in a long time.

Consequently, I walked into the office after a three-day weekend (President’s Day) and the people’s reaction to my face was enough to keep me in my office and away from attending my meetings that day. I read body languages very well and that day…I could count the number of eyes dropping after viewing my burnt melasma on my cheekbones. I cannot tell you how devastated I was. I had a 36th birthday a couple days after President’s Day and that was very difficult for me. I cancelled birthday lunches and dinners because I couldn’t bare to be seen by my friends. It was a very challenging day and week for me.

I found myself for the very first time in my life wearing concealer. It was so awkward because I didn’t even know how to put it on properly. I never thought that this skin disorder could change my life like it has. During this week, I have spent my evenings researching and researching melasma – its causes, various treatments and prevention. There are sooooo many different possible treatments!!!!! Where do I begin? Most importantly...which one?

From research, I have discovered that what may work for one may not work for another. Some women reported great success on the Obaji; whereas others, like me, did not experience any positive results. While I do have my moments of despair, I truly believe I will have those beautiful cheekbones again!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are beautiful Tway!!!!
Love,
Sandra

My Urbanista Affair said...

Thank you for sharing your story! It is great to hear about other people's experiences with melasma. Any update? And as your friend said, I am sure you are beautful!

Marilyn Navarro said...

I’m here to testify about what Dr James did for me. I have been suffering from (GENITAL HERPES VIRUS) disease for the past 4 years and had constant pain and itching, especially in my private part. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be cured someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it really helped during my outbreaks but I totally got cured! from my HSV with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from Dr James herbal mix and it completely fought the virus from my nervous system and I was tested negative after 15 days of using Dr James herbal medicine. I'm here to let y'all know that herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr James herbal medicine. I came across a testimony of Kasha, on the internet testifying about Dr James , on how he cured Him from 7 years HSV 2. And He also gave the email address of this man... [drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com]..., advising anybody to contact him for help on any kind of diseases that he would be of help with, so I emailed him telling him about my (HSV 2) he told me not to worry that I'm going to be cured!! Well, I never doubted him. I have faith he can cure me too,, Dr James prepared and sent me his herbal medicine made of roots and herbs which I took. In the first one week, I started experiencing changes all over me, after 15 days I drank his herbal medicine, I was totally cured. no more itching , pain on me anymore as Dr James assured me. After some time I went to my doctor to do another test. the result came out negative. So friends my advice is if you have such disease or know anyone who suffers from it or any other disease like Melasma, Shingles, HPV, HBV, HIV/AIDS, ALS, HBP, CANCER,NEPHROTIC SYNDROME HIV / AIDS, herpes cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic cancers, bladder cancer, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Autism,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis ,Tach Diseases,Lupus,Backache,dementia.kidney cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, skin cancer and skin cancer.testicular Cancer, , LEUKEMIA, VIRUSES, HEPATITIS, INFERTILITY WOMEN . , etc. you can contact Dr James directly on his.... [drjamesherbalmix@gamil.com]... He is a good man,and He will help you