Wednesday, February 28, 2007

B5 and B12

I am uncertain if it has anything to do with the B6 and B12 I started taking on Monday but for the past 2 nights, I've slept very well. I usually sleep through the night except for the moments where my bladder is full and I need to go tickle. Each two mornings, I just wanted to try to sneak in 15 more minutes which is a bit odd for someone like me who wakes up naturally without an alarm clock and regularly at 5a.m.

I started taking B6 and B12 because I felt I may be low in these vitamins, which may be affecting the function of my liver. Adrenal glands are next to kidneys associated with stress. From my research both B5 and B12 supports the adrenal. Since I am a vegetarian, I don’t get enough B12. Evidently, “[adrenal fatigue is more common in individuals who] tend to eat less meat, tend to digest it poorly if they do eat it and generally absorb poorly (http://www.drrind.com/scorecardmatrix.asp). Hyper-pigmentation and acne can be caused if deficient in both B5 and B12.

Guess what? I purchased B6 instead of B5…but at least, I didn’t forget the B12. I’ve been taking both the B6 and B12 daily. It looks like I would have needed the B6 in any event because sources of B6 (see below from www.lifeclinic.com) included foods which I don’t intake often.

Sources of Pantothenic Acid (B5)
Peas and beans (except green beans)
Lean meat, poultry, fish
Whole-grain cereals

Lack of pantothenic acid in the diet is rare, so there is no recommended daily intake for this vitamin. Often, pantothenic acid is included in B-complex multivitamins. Normal daily intake of pantothenic acid for adults is 4 to 7 milligrams. Pantothenic acid does not usually cause any side effects, although pregnant and breastfeeding mothers should be careful to consume only the normal daily intake.

Sources of Vitamin B6
Poultry
Pork
Fish
Eggs
Soybeans
Oats
Whole grains
Bananas
Nuts and seeds

Women need 1.6 milligrams of B6 every day, and men need 2 milligrams. Taking regular high doses of vitamin B6 over 250 milligrams per day may cause nerve damage. In addition pregnant and breastfeeding mothers should not take more than the recommended daily amount of vitamin B6 because too much pyridoxine can cause harm to the developing fetus or infant.

Sources of Vitamin B12
Meat
Milk products
Eggs
Cheese
Chicken
Fish

Both adult men and women need 2.0 micrograms of vitamin B12 each day. B12 deficiency can cause a type of anemia marked by fewer but larger red blood cells that's called pernicious anemia. It can also cause walking and balance problems, sore tongue, weakness, confusion and, in advanced cases, dementia. Vegetarians who eliminate all animal sources from their diet (also known as vegans) may benefit from taking a vitamin B12 supplement. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, do not take vitamin B12 in doses greater than the RDA for pregnant (2.6 micrograms/day) or breastfeeding women (2.8 micrograms/day). Some people who have problems with absorption or have had bowel surgery may need injections of Vitamins B12 to prevent deficiency because their bodies can't absorb oral supplements properly. People over age 50 may also need B12 supplements because the aging process diminishes the body’s ability to absorb vitamin B12 from natural food sources.

3 comments:

Harish Kumar said...

VEGAN FRIENDLY
Often vegans do not get enough of B12. VITBOOST designed their B12 to be vegan friendly and do not get the proper dosage of B12 in their diet.

Vegan Liquid B-12

Harish Kumar said...

VEGAN FRIENDLY
Often vegans do not get enough of B12. VITBOOST designed their B12 to be vegan friendly and do not get the proper dosage of B12 in their diet.

Vegan Liquid B-12

SantaMedical said...

Helps With Red Blood Cell Formation and Anemia Prevention. Vitamin B12 plays a vital role in helping your body produce red blood cells. Low vitamin B12 levels cause a reduction in red blood cell formation and prevent them from developing properly.