Sunday, February 25, 2007

Herbal Tinctures, Green Vibrance, B-Complex and Ti-Silc

Within the last couple weeks, my research about melasma has led me to believe it is not only an external matter (sun exposure). Sunblock can do so much but since the skin is also an organ, I believe that a weak liver can cause melasma.

How did I come to this hypothesis especially for someone who has never had a drink, do drugs or smoke? Quite simple…for many reasons.

  1. I don’t eat enough nutrients from my food. I eat very little and graze throughout the day and have had this eating habit since I was 26…now over 10 years. At 5’3”, I weigh approximately 105 pounds but I also work out 5 times a week. My liver could be weak from not having enough nutrients.
  2. I am also a vegetarian…and have been a vegetarian for three years; however, I do consume seafood, eggs and milk…but very little.
  3. I have read on the internet that “The liver is the most emotion sensitive organ and its weakness is often connected to emotional sensitivity. Individuals who are emotionally sensitive are more prone to weak liver even if they do not have a poor diet or are not taking medication regularly.” (sensiblehealth.com) And I should begin right now to tell you that….ask any one of my close friends and they will tell you I am highly emotional.
  4. Additionally, “Estrogen replacement therapy and birth control pills are common contributing factors to these problems because they weaken the liver and gallbladder.” (sensiblehealth.com) For over 10 yeas, I was taking birth control pills to control my acne. During this time, I began to notice the appearance of my melasma.

Evidently, I have reasons to believe that my liver and gallbladder is weak. If my liver is weak, it cannot detox my blood, which in turn, leaves the toxin deposits on my skin (in my case – my cheekbones to be exact). It makes sense to me. So I along with the continued use of my Pomada de la Compana, I plan to purchase the liver/gallbladder flush kit from Sensible Health (sensiblehealth.com). For those of you who may be raising an eyebrow out of curiosity…the answer is “No, I am not here to promote Sensible Health.” What she has written in detailed on her website makes perfect sense to me. I invite you to read her website as it is very comprehensible. I have asked a couple of my friends who are in the medical profession and they confirm that it is possible for all the above to happen.

In addition to the above, I had an opportunity to compare notes with a vegetarian who suggested I get on a green supplement to assist me in getting the nutrients I need. I contacted several holistic and natural food stores and “Green Vibrance” was highly recommended. I ended up purchasing a family size online because it was much more reasonable than in stores. I also purchased B-12 and B-5 vitamins and plan to take those regularly with my vitamin-C.

A month ago, I noticed one of my girlfriends no longer had melasma on her cheeks. I asked her if it was her concealer? She indicated that it was this sunblock she had been using for over 2 months called Ti-Silc. I recently ordered the product a couple weeks ago and it finally arrived a few days ago. I’ve been using the Ti-Silc, which is SPF 45 UVA and UVB protected. Uncertain if the Pomada de la Compana provides enough sunblock with its ingredient of zinc oxide, I have been applying the Ti-Silc after Pomada de la Compana. I basically use the Ti-Silc once a day but the Pomada at least twice a day.

Talking about Pomada de la Compana...it will be one week this coming Tuesday. The melasma, which was recently burned from my use of Solage, has now lightened to its original shade before the Solage. When I applied the Pomada last night, I noticed flakes of my skin in the moisturizer as I was smearing the Pomada over the rest of my face. I took a fresh piece of tissue paper to wipe the flakes off and noticed it was dark brown in color, which indicated that my burnt skin from the melasma area (which was burnt from the use of Solage) was coming off.

While I believe the Pomada is providing me with great results thus far, I also believe it is as equally important to discover the underlying cause of my melasma. I want give myself equal care - externally as well as internally. The thing to keep in mind is that our skin is also an organ and the liver is comparable to the "General" and "Chief of Staff". If it's weak or not functioning properly...all else struggles.

No comments: